Warning: This story involves disturbing topics, which can upset some readers and trigger some readers. Recommend discretion.
Conservative leader Pierre Poilievre stood among a candidate in British Columbia, even as candidates were summoned among various Indigenous leaders to resign, accusing Aaron Gunn of denying the history of resident schools.
“He didn’t deny the impact of residential schools, it was just wrong information,” Poilievre told reporters Saturday when asked about his support for North Island-Powell River candidate Gunn.
“In fact, he has said that he wants to continue to condemn resident schools and build stronger partnerships with Aboriginal people to unlock our resources so that we can generate incredible pay and opportunities for Aboriginal communities across British Columbia.”
Earlier this week, the regional head of Terry Teegee, an Aboriginal native of the British Columbia Council, accused Gunn of making past comments, calling it “reproachable.”
“These comments are reprehensible, especially for survivors of the school they live in,” Teegee said.
Among the recommended posts, there were videos posted on social media, in which Gunn said Canada’s residency program did not constitute genocide and that schools “changeably.”
“There is no genocide. Don’t lie to people anymore, read a book,” Gunn wrote in 2020.

Teegee said the party should use Gunn as a candidate for comment.

Get the daily national news
Get news, politics, economics and current events titles delivered to your inbox every day.
“If this is a party that allows its (candidates) to deny sentiment, then I don’t think they deserve to lead any country or government,” Teegee said.
More than 150,000 indigenous children were forced to attend residential schools, the last of which was closed in 1996.
An estimated 6,000 children died in school, although experts say the actual number may be higher.
The Truth and Reconciliation Commission is tasked with research institutions that find that they have suffered abuse, that children have separated from their families, and that visits with their families are prohibited.
It concluded that the schools were for cultural genocide, calling them “a systematic, government-sponsored attempt to undermine Aboriginal culture and language and absorb Aboriginal peoples, so they no longer exist as different ethnic groups.”
Gunn responded to the allegations Thursday night, saying he “never wavered in condemning the abuse agencies.”
“I have always been firmly aware of the real horror incidents that have occurred in resident schools, and any attempts that would otherwise be suggested are wrong,” he said.
“I have never wavered in condemning these abusive institutions, where countless Aboriginal people suffered at the hands of the federal government that they were patronizing.”
British Columbia Conservative Leaders John Rustad and Chris Sankey, partisan candidates in past provincial elections, have posted on X to defend Sankey, who defended Gunn, saying the charges were “founded without foundation.”

The former vice-chairman of the British Columbia Indian Chiefs’ Union also called on the party to remove him, citing various social media posts.
Bob (Galagame) Zhang Bolin called the comments “offensive” in a press release.
“When I see people like Aaron Gunn embracing what I think is racist comments – the perception of the impact of resident schools on Aboriginal people, it’s shocking, disgusting, and offensive,” Chamberlin said.
“I believe Canadians need to understand that conservatives welcome these types of people to their party and I think it needs to be asked if leaders support these statements.”
Even in the allegations, the Conservatives said in a statement to Canadian media that it represented Gunn before Poilievre’s statement, who said he “has a clear understanding of the truly horrible events that have happened in residential schools.”
“Any attempt to make other suggestions is wrong,” they added.
The party also noted that the House of Commons passed a unanimous agreement motion that recognized residential schools as genocide in 2022.
Gunn was not a member of parliament when the motion was passed.
Although the party seems to be standing next to Gunn, it has already withdrawn many candidates in recent days when they comment.
Liberals have also ousted candidates in the past few days.
–Canadian media documents
& Copy 2025 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.