The program is one of many first security enhancements during the federal election as threats to politicians continue to rise.

Article content
Ottawa – Threats to politicians have become so frequent that the federal government provides candidates for private security for the first time.
Article content
Article content
The program is designed to allow candidates to see their safety at risk during the campaign, but the level of threat does not meet the threshold for police protection.
Advertisement 2
Article content
If eligible, candidates will be protected by unarmed private security services that will act as a bodyguard (closely protected), surveillance their home or both.
“This is to support campaigns, such as campaigns,” said Allen Sutherland, assistant secretary of government agencies at the Private Commission Office (PCO).
“In the past few years, you’ve seen intimidation against politicians. This happened on Parliament Hill. It happened on horseback riding,” Sutherland said during a security and intelligence threat on Monday.
Security personnel will be assigned to candidates who meet any of the criteria: they have been attacked, their property is targeted or destroyed by protesters, they feel threatened by “destructive, uninvited individuals” at home, or their personal information has been posted on the Internet.
Article content
Advertisement 3
Article content
Recommended from the editorial
The plan is one of many first security enhancements implemented by federal election regulators and organizers. This is because, according to PCO and RCMP, there has been a constant trend in threats to politicians lately.
“One of the trends is the intensification and rise of threats of violence and intimidation targeting Canadian public figures,” said Laurie-Anne Kempton, Assistant Assistant Minister for Communications of PCO in Monday’s briefing.
“Cans are not allowed to exercise their democratic rights because of perceptions or real threats to their personal safety,” she added. “Canadians running for the elected office feel safe.”
Advertisement 4
Article content
Gregory O’Hayon of the RCMP said the National Police Force “very clear” that the threat to candidates is “very good”, but its protective mandate is limited to cabinet members, party leaders and some other people designated by public safety ministers.
“Unfortunately, the RCMP is everywhere,” O’Haen said.
A PCO spokesperson did not immediately answer questions about how many candidates applied for private security through PCO.
Last week, Chief Election Officer Stéphane Perrault said Canadian elections have improved security at voting locations, given the ongoing “tension” caused by the Israel-Hamas conflict and the historic trade war with the United States.
Advertisement 5
Article content
A report released by the field task force last year found that threats to politicians have become “increasingly normal” due to extreme narratives arising from individual complaints and are driven by misinformation or intentional lies.
Reports received by Canadian media read: “Violent speech is often fixed on elected officials and is particularly hostile to high-profile women.”
National Post, other reports from Canadian media
cnardi@postmedia.com
Getting deeper national postal political coverage and analysis in the inbox of the newsletter with political hackers, Ottawa Bureau chief Stuart Thomson and political analyst Tasha Kheiriddin are all behind the scenes behind what actually happens every Wednesday and Friday. Register here.
Article content